11.12.09

4th ESO Grammar Corner - Modal verbs

Modal verbs always seem to cause headaches for some students. What's the difference between must and have to...why doesn't don't have to mean the same as mustn't....?? Sometimes it's a good idea to try to understand modal verbs from a functional point of view rather than purely grammatical. With this in mind, 4th ESO have prepared the following post. I hope it goes some way to clearing up any doubts you may have.

USE:


  • Ability:

Can: I can ride a bike

Could(past): He could speak french when he was three

  • Request:

Can: Can I use your phone?

Could(polite): Could I have a biscuit?

May(polite, formal): May I borrow this book?

Will(polite): Will you pass the milk, please?

Would(polite): Would you help me with my english?

  • Permission:

Can: You can borrow my key

May(formal): You may use the computer

  • Impossibility:

Can't: Sally can't be away

Couldn't: He couldn't do the homework

  • Possibility:

Could: She could either be at the beach or at home

May(future): We may go to the restaurant tomorrow

Might(future): It might rain tonight

  • Suggestion and recommendation:

Could(suggestion): You could try speaking to your teacher

Should/ought (suggestion): Should I take this books?

Must(recommendation): He must go to the restaurant

Shall(suggestion): Shall I close the door

  • Prediction:

Will(certainty): He will arrive tomorrow

  • Willingness:

Will: I will do the shopping

  • Repeated past action:

Would: When he was young, he would spend hours reading

  • Obligation:

Should/ought to: I should practise the piano now

Must(strong): You must drive with the seatbelt

  • Probability:

Should/ought to(logical): She ought to get the job

  • Necessity:

Must(strong): You must go to bed early

  • Prohibition:

Mustn't: You musn't smoke here

  • Lack of necessity:

Needn't: You needn't come to work early tomorrow

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario